Company culture isn't defined by a set of principles or a mission statement; it isn't defined by the founder's vision; and, it cannot be mandated from the top. Company culture is defined by action; it is the byproduct of movement; and, it is born of guerrilla warfare.
It starts when people like you stand-up and say that to be here—to be on this team—it means something. And then, they act accordingly; demonstrating, with consistency, that people like us do things like this.
In a product company, I believe that our primary goal is to serve the customer. As engineers in a product company, I believe that people like us achieve this goal by shipping code. And, I believe that in order to ship code effectively, we must operate from a place of love and generosity.
In 2023, I published a book titled, "Feature Flags: Transform Your Product Development Workflow". This book contains everything that I've learned over the last 7 years about integrating feature flags into my product development. But, a static book can only take you so far. In an effort to make the book more interactive, I've created a series of blog posts—one per chapter—that provide a place in which the readers and I can discuss the content. You can purchase the book and / or read a preview of each chapter on the book's mini-site. Feel free to leave a question or a comment down below.
- Of Outages And Incidents
- The Status Quo
- Feature Flags, An Introduction
- Key Terms And Concepts
- Going Deep On Feature Flag Targeting
- The User Experience (UX) Of Feature Flag Targeting
- Types Of Feature Flags
- Life-Cycle Of A Feature Flag
- Use Cases
- Server-Side vs. Client-Side
- Bridging The Sophistication Gap
- Life Without Automated Testing
- Ownership Boundaries
- The Hidden Cost Of Feature Flags
- Not Everything Can Be Feature Flagged
- Build vs. Buy
- Track Actions, Not Feature Flag State
- Logs, Metrics, And Feature Flags
- Transforming Your Company Culture
- People Like Us Do Things Like This
- Building Inclusive Products
- An Opinionated Guide To Pull Requests (PRs)
- Removing The Cost Of Context Switching
- Measuring Team Productivity
- Increasing Agility With Dynamic Code
- Product Release vs. Marketing Release
- Getting From No To Yes
- What If I Can Only Deploy Every 2 Weeks?
- I Eat, I Sleep, I Feature Flag