This past week, I updated my blog from ColdFusion 10 to ColdFusion 2018. ColdFusion is generally backwards compatible; so I figured this would be a seamless transition. However, I ended up running into an issue with JavaLoader, which I wanted to share because my Google searches for the related error yielded no results. As such, I thought sharing the details could help others who run into the same JavaLoader issue.
ASIDE: Why ColdFusion 2018 and not Lucee 18.104.22.168? Frankly, I use managed hosting on Hostek for my blog; and, the Support team recommended ColdFusion 2018 over Lucee as they have better support for it on Windows servers. And, I don't know enough about server management to argue with them, which is why I use "managed hosting" in the first place. I love Lucee, and I hope to be on it eventually; however, as a first step, I just wanted to get my server upgraded to a version of ColdFusion that had active support.
So, I installed ColdFusion 2018, installed the MySQL JDBC Connector, created my datasource, configured my
wsconfig connector, and then attempted to boot-up my site. At this point, I was greeted with a Java error that made no sense to me:
Unable to make public void jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadModule(java.lang.module.ModuleReference) accessible: module java.base does not "exports jdk.internal.loader" to unnamed module @6c9e74f3
From the stacktrace, I could see that ColdFusion was failing somewhere in the JavaLoader code:
After having no luck Googling for the error, I started looking through the ColdFusion 2018 Administrator with the hunch that this was somehow security related. And that's when I found the server setting, Disable access to internal ColdFusion Java components:
Since JavaLoader's whole reason-for-being relates to creating Java objects, I went ahead and unchecked that ColdFusion Server Settings box and reloaded my site. And, much to my satisfaction, it started working. So, clearly, the JavaLoader project needs access to the internal ColdFusion Java components in order to do its job.
To make sure this wasn't a coincidence, I re-checked the security box and attempted to reload my site. Once again, it failed to load; however, this time, it failed with a different error message - one that was much more user-friendly:
Permission denied for creating Java object: coldfusion.runtime.java.JavaProxy.
Access to Java objects in the ColdFusion package has been disabled by the administrator.
So clearly, this ColdFusion 2018 Server Setting was the issue. I have no idea why the error message was different on server start vs. server setting update. But, I'm happy to have it working now. And, hopefully the above error messages will help others that run into the same issue.