I was working on a streaming video file for a client this morning using Flash and a linked FLV video file. Everything worked nicely - the Flash media player is so badass - until I uploaded it to the production server. Suddenly, the movie didn't play at all. Nothing I did seemed to work; cleaning the cache didn't do anything; all the paths were right. It wasn't until I tried to access the FLV file directly and got a 404 File Not Found error that I realized something was fishy.
After some Google searching, I came across this Adobe Tech Note that says that:
When Flash Player movie files that stream external FLV files (Flash videos) are placed on a Microsoft Windows 2003 server and then viewed in a browser, the SWF file plays correctly, but the FLV video does not stream. These files work correctly if tested on other operating systems. The issue affects all FLV files played via Windows 2003 server, including files made with the Flash Video Kit for Dreamweaver MX 2004.
The good news is that there is any easy solution:
- On the Windows 2003 server, open the Internet Information Services Manager.
- Expand the Local Computer Server.
- Right-click the local computer server and select Properties.
- Select the MIME Types tab.
- Click New and enter the following information:
- Associated Extension box: .FLV
- MIME Type box:flv-application/octet-stream
- Click OK.
- Restart the World Wide Web Publishing service.
This tip is already in our ToDo list when we install a new server. :)
I know I spent a lot of time to find out the reason of this problem and this will be useful for others also.
What makes it so frustrating is that the SWF file works fine... it just looks like the FLV file is not loading into it properly. So of course, you think its just a path problem or something! Uggg :)
I've been bit by this little nuance as well.
funny, but i had same problem not long ago and blogged about it just yesterday http://www.1smartsolution.com/blog/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=FCE65E88-50BF-1286-4BD978F4378AAE45
Ha ha, small world :) I hope you didn't waste as much time as I did!
Jeez! Wasted an hour on this little doozy! How come FLVs worked on our old server? I'm sure we had to do this before.
I mean... "never had to do this before".
Yeah, silly IIS! :)
Oooh, that was happened to me before, but I catch - after long time - it by trying to download the flv file useing its full path. I don't remember what was the error, but it has been solved doing the same steps you wrote.
Thank you so much
Spent houers looking at first code then crossdomain policy issues then searching for flash related help and then I tried to dl the flv file directly from browser which finally got me to put in windows in the search criteria and then I found your page so...............
But ain't this what development is allways all about
Always glad to help. It took me a while to find this out also - I hope that I cut down on your search time a bit :)
Thanks a lot my friend.. this help me to fix the issue on the fly.. Great solution posted.
Forwarded this to University ITS, fixed my problem.
Thanks, Ben! Found this via a Google search for "Flash Video 404." Exactly what I needed. You made my day.
Thanks a ton...I was beginning to think I was going crazy. My search to find you was 404 error flv
Rock on, glad to help :)
Nice tip, thank you and stumble!
Thank you. I love you!
For what it's worth, you don't have to go through the trouble of restarting the WWW publishing service. Simply open up a command prompt (start > run > "cmd") and type "iisreset" and hit enter. I've found this to be faster and obviously easier, with the same result.
Thanks for the tip.
Wonderful! I'll try this... really hope it works!
Legend... Thanks... Works a treat
This was exactly what I was looking for! Fixed my ailing problem.
May have saved me a few hairs from being pulled out. Only half bald now!
You saved me a ton of hassle. Thanks for this great post!!!
Thanks a lot. I waw wondering why I got that 404 error.
Thanks for the info... this was a great help as i had spend my entire day on this issue......
I spent a good couple of hours on this today. What a pain. On my old server, everything was fine. I migrated the site to a new server, and suddenly, all the files with audio didn't work. Just got nothin'. When i noticed the audio files had FLV counterparts, and did a search for "FLV IIS". Viola! Thanks!
No problem at all; when I first ran into this, it struck me as somewhat odd that you even needed to register file extensions. I just assumed that all files would be served up, except for perhaps some black-listed ones.
Did I ever tell you, YOUR THE MAN. This saved me from hours of head banging pain. Thanks.
Ha ha, no problem, glad to help.
Luckily I didn't get bit so bad by this one, as the very first thing I did was try to browse to the file. Typically anytime I dump a file onto a webserver, no matter what kind it is, I try to browse to it first. Then I can make sure I didn't put it somewhere that the web server isn't configured for.
Still glad though that I could find an answer so quickly.
Glad you got it worked out quickly :) When things don't work on a server, I tend to panic a bit. I'm slowly getting better.
thanks Ben - uploaded my FLV twice, checked code twice, searched Google once... found your post. Magician.
Team work (high five)!
Awesome, can't remember how many times I have ended findong my solution here. Thanks Ben
It is very useful. It works.
Thanks so much.
Thank you for this quick and useful tip.
Over 5 years later and this is still relevant.
I just went through this same problem pulling my hair out thinking my paths were incorrect, etc.
I just wanted to say Thank You Ben for posting great solutions!
Don't stop, you rock!