In response to something I heard last night at the NY CFUG meeting about Blue Dragon, I set off to figure out how I one could test to see if a SQL value was NULL or if it was actually an empty string. As it turns out, Mark Mandel had solved this problem months ago in the same fashion (with arguably more elegance). At first I was bummed that I had "reinvented the wheele". Then I was double-bummed to find out that not only had Mark already figured this out but that I had in fact commented on his post back in September (clearly demonstrating to myself that I was not fully aware of what he was talking about).
But then, I realized, if Mark Mandel did it... and then I did it... I MUST be on the right track! So from now on, instead of looking down on reinventing the wheel, I am going to look at it as a litmus test that I am getting smarter :)
Looking For A New Job?
- Mid-Level Developer - Remote at Meeting Play
- Cold Fusion Developer/Designer at BPO Elks of the USA
- 10 year + CF lead Programmer/Developer with expert dot net/sql skills at Atprime Media Services
- ColdFusion Developer (advanced) at Intoria Internet Architects
- Full-time, remote CF Developer for Motorsport SaaS Company at MotorsportReg.com
Now I'm all blushing.... awww stop it ;)
Ben don't lie to us. You are a terrible liar. You loveeee reinventing the wheel! Why do you think we get... what was it? About 5-7 blog posts today alone? Come on Ben admit it, you enjoy reinventing. :) By the way I'm in no way criticizing the fact that you are an active blogger, if anything you need to keep at it.
Hello, my name is Ben and I love reinventing the wheel :)